This Lavender cake is a lovely floral summery cake that has a subtle floral finish to it. The perfect summer party cake.
340g caster sugar
340g self-raising flour
400g icing sugar, sifted
Fresh lavender for scattering as decoration
X 3- 15cm/ 6inch diameter tins
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/Fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease three small sandwich tins then line the base of each tin with baking parchment.
2. Add the Quicke’s Cow's Whey Butter and sifted caster sugar to a bowl and beat using an electric whisk until pale in colour. Before adding the eggs and beating carefully.
3. Next add the vanilla essence, then carefully mix in the sifted flour until thoroughly blended.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the three tins and level out.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes or until well risen and the tops of the cakes spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. In the meantime, make the buttercream.
6. Whisk together the sifted icing sugar and the room temperature whey butter to creamy in consistency.
6. Leave cakes to cool in the tins for a few minutes, before using a skewer to press tiny holes throughout the sponge. Then, pour the sugar syrup in and make sure it doesn’t become too soggy. Leave for 15 minutes.
7. Once cool enough, turn the sponges out of the tins, peel off the parchment and finish cooling on a wire rack.
8. When completely cold, spread a third of the buttercream and top with a good dollop of Lovely Lavender Briscoe Jelly and repeat with the second layer.
9. Add the top layer with buttercream and sprinkle with fresh lavender.