These delicious autumnal scones are the perfect treat for afternoon tea on Halloween. Serve while they are still warm from the oven and top with Extra Mature Cheddar and a generous dollop of Fireflame Chilli Jam.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS 8
- 200g of Pumpkin or Butternut Squash cut into small cubes
- 225g Self raising flour
- 40g of Quicke’s Whey Butter
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30g of grated Quicke’s Extra Mature Cheddar
- 1 tsp of cider mustard
- 10g of freshly chopped thyme
- 4 tbsp. of milk
- Prepare the pumpkin by cooking in salted water for 10 mins until soft. Drain and mash and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Put the sifted flour and baking powder into a bowl with the butter, using your fingertips, rub together and combine to a breadcrumb consistency.
- Using a fork mix the cold mashed pumpkin with the breadcrumb flour and butter mixture
- Then combine with the grated cheese and mustard and chopped thyme
- Then slowly add the milk, making a dough consistency.
- Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface
- Form the dough into a ball and roll out until 3cm thick
- Using a flower cutter, cut out the scones and place on an oiled baking tray.
- Brush the tops with little bit of milk.
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden and risen.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Slice and top with extra cheese and a dollop of single variety chili jam
PREPARATION TIME 25 MINUTES
COOKING TIME 15-20 MINUTES