The quintessential British snack, perfect for summer lunches, or afternoon teas. The use of the Regal Rose Jelly by Briscoe's helps to create a subtle floral flavour making it even more summery.
Spread with a thick helping of Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter and a dollop of Briscoe Rose Jelly, or go traditional and add clotted, of whipped cream and a dollop of regal rose jelly. either way perfect for a summery afternoon tea.
- 350g self-raising flour, plus more for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 85g Quicke's Cow's Whey butter, cut into cubes
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- beaten egg to glaze
- Extra Quicke's Whey Butter or clotted cream, to serve
- A jar of Briscoe Regal Rose Jelly
- Heat the over to 200C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt and rub in the Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter, until breadcrumb consistency, then add your sugar
- Then add the milk and vanilla extract to form a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/3/4in thick. Use 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a beaten egg. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Spread thickly with Quicke's Cow's Whey Butter and a good dollop of Briscoe Rose Jelly, or go traditional and have with clotted cream, but remember the jelly goes on top, the true Devon way!