The perfect teatime treat during the winter months. With a ginger kick it is wonderfully warming and if you leave it in the tin for a few weeks it becomes deliciously sticky. Best served with a cup of tea and a wedge of Quicke’s Mature Cheddar.
NUMBER OF SERVINGS – makes 16 squares
- 200g Quicke’s cows whey butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 large egg beaten with 4 tbsp whole milk
- 200g golden syrup
- 85g treacle
- 85g light soft brown sugar
- 100g medium oatmeal, 250g self-raising flour and 1 tbsp ground ginger in one bowl.
- Heat oven to 160C/140C fan/gas 3.
- Butter a deep 22cm square cake tin and line with baking parchment.
- Over a Gentle heat melt the syrup, treacle, sugar and butter together in a large pan until the sugar has dissolved. Be careful not to burn.
- Remove from the heat.
- Stir the flour and oatmeal mixture into the syrup mixture
- Then combine the beaten egg and milk.
- Pour the mixture into the tin, make sure this is evenly distributed and bake for 50 mins – 1 hr until crusty/firm to touch.
- Cool in the tin
- Wrap the cake in more parchment and foil, so its completely sealed.
- The cake become softer and stickier the longer you leave it- wait till at least 5 days but up to two weeks for optimum stickiness.
- Serve with a wedge of Quicke’s Mature cheddar.
PREPARATION TIME 15 MINUTES
COOKING TIME 60 MINUTES