We love a classic lemon and sugar pancake on Shrove Tuesday, but secretly, it's the savoury pancakes that really get our mouth-watering - and the fillings are endless... Whip up a quick pancake batter and fill with whatever's in your fridge for a filling and delicious Pancake Day lunch or supper. Here's one of our favourites, and we've added ground oatmeal to make it a more hearty and filling pancake - great for weekend brunch.
For the batter:
- 50g wholemeal spelt flour
- 50g fine-ground oatmeal
- 1 large egg
- 200ml milk
- 2 tbsp Quicke's Slightly Salted Cow's Butter
For the filling:
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 400g mixed wild mushrooms, chopped in half (if large)
- 75g Quicke's Slightly Salted Cow's Butter, plus extra for greasing
- 1 tbsp oil
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- A handful of baby spinach leaves
- 100g Quicke's Mature Clothbound Cheddar, grated
- A few sprigs of thyme (optional)
- Pop the oven on 200C/180C Fan/Gas. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl and stir in the fine-ground oatmeal. Make a well in the centre and crack the egg into the centre. Whisk the flour into the egg while gradually adding the milk. Once the mixture has reached the consistency of thin cream, stop pouring in the milk and continue to whisk until lovely and smooth. Add a tablespoon of melted butter and mix.
- Lightly cover a frying pan with the remaining butter and heat until very hot. Keeping it on the high heat, add two tablespoons of pancake mixture into the centre of the pan and swirl it in a circular motion from the handle so the batter covers the pan.
- Once it has set and become golden brown, flip the pancake over and cook for a further 30 seconds before placing it on to baking paper. Repeat until all the mixture has been used (it should make eight pancakes), layering the pancakes between sheets of baking paper. before popping into the oven on to stay warm.
- Over a high heat, sauté the garlic, mushrooms and thyme leaves in the butter and oil for 3-4 minutes. Add the crème fraîche and baby spinach leaves and stir until wilted. Add the grated Mature cheddar and heat until melted, then season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Remove the pancakes from the oven and divide the filling evenly among the pancakes. Serve with plenty of rocket and black pepper, and remember to leave room for your sweet pancake!