We believe some of the best food in life is the most simple. Humble ingredients brought together with love. This recipe is all about just that; good honest ingredients, cooked simply and shared with friends.
Here’s how to make our cheese toastie...
- 300g of coarsely grated Quicke’s Mature cheddar
- 50g Quicke’s Cows Whey Butter
- 8 slices of good bread, we like sourdough
- Crock and Cole Devon Red Sauerkraut
- Smoked Cornish Sea Salt
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- To make our cheese toastie you need to start with a griddle pan
- While you’re waiting for your pan to get to a medium heat, grate the Mature cheddar into a bowl.
- Now butter the bread on one side; this will become the outside of the cheese toastie. Place the bread butter side down in the pan and listen out for than gentle sizzle.
- Then sprinkle the Mature cheddar over the bread. Don’t worry if some falls into the pan, this will just add to the sticky caramelised flavour. Then add some Devon Red Sauerkraut on top, as much or as little as you like. Place the other slice of bread on top, butter side up.
- It’s all about leaving it alone to get a lovely rich brown colour and for the cheese to start to melt.
- Once you are happy with your toastie’s colour, carefully flip the toastie and repeat on the other side.
- Last but by no means least, sprinkle a little smoked Cornish Sea Salt over the toastie, slice it in half with confidence and just wait a few more seconds, admiring.
Don’t forget to take a picture or two