There's nothing like a homemade pizza to enjoy with friends. Thin and crispy, easy to make and topped with a generous helping our clothbound cheese, this classic pizza recipe can be adapted for gatherings time and time again.
- 500g (18oz) plain flour
- 14g (1/2oz) dried yeast
- 300g (10 1/2fl oz) warm water
- 1tsp sugar
- 20ml (1/2fl oz) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 500g (18oz) tomato passata
- Basil and oregano leaves
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 200g (7oz) quality mozzarella
- 200g (7oz) Quicke's Extra Mature Cheddar, grated
- Selection of seasonal toppings
- Divide the warm water into two equal parts and pour the salt into one and the yeast into the other. Stir until both have totally dissolved.
- Pour the flour into a large bowl and add the sugar and oil. Add the yeast water into the flour while kneading the ingredients together. Once everything is combined, add the salt water and continue kneading.
- Transfer the dough to a floured surface and complete the kneading until the dough is smooth and soft.
- Put back in the bowl slightly floured. Covered with cling film and a tea towel and leave in a nice warm place to rest for 2 to 4 hours until dough doubles in size.
- Cut the dough in half, place onto a floured surface and push into two circles (30-35cm each) with a rolling pin and leave to rest for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the passata, salt, basil and extra virgin olive oil for the sauce. Cover the two pizzas with the passata and cook in a preheated oven at 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7 for 15 minutes. Add the cheese on top of the pizza after 5 minutes, plus any other ingredients you fancy - try salami and mushrooms for a comforting autumnal pizza or olives, onions and rosemary in the summer. Quicke's Goats' Milk Cheese with beetroot is a favourite of ours - let us know what you come up with.