The quintessential British snack, our recipe repertoire wouldn't be complete without our signature cheese scones. We've combined our classic Mature Clothbound Cheddar with our very own take on Red Leicester - our Quicke's Devonshire Red. But this recipe works with any of our cheeses, it's a great way to use up any left over bits of cheese you have (if such a thing exists?).
Spread with a thick helping of Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter and a dollop of chutney; the perfect choice for a savoury, summery afternoon tea.
- 680g (24oz) plain flour
- 170g (6oz) Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter
- 285g (10oz) Quicke's Mature Clothbound Cheddar, grated
- 340g (12floz) milk
- 75g (3oz) Quicke's Devonshire Red Clothbound Cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the over to 220C/425F/Gas Mark 7. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Mix together the flour and salt and rub in the Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter.
- Stir in Quicke's Mature Cheddar and then the milk to form a soft dough.
- Turn on to a floured work surface and knead very lightly. Pat out to a round 2cm/3/4in thick. Use 5cm/2in cutter to stamp out rounds and place on the baking sheet. Lightly knead together the rest of the dough and stamp out more scones to use it all up.
- Brush the tops of the scones with a little milk and top with Quicke's Devonshire Red Cheese. Bake for 12-15 minutes until well risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack. Spread thickly with Quicke's Cow's Whey Butter and a good dollop of chutney.