This recipe is our Account Manager Patrick Spinazza's unique twist on the traditional apple pie. The cinnamon spiced apple and raisin centre is enveloped with a scrumptious Goat's Whey Butter pastry. Serve with a dash of cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
- 325g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 230g Quicke’s Goats Whey Butter diced in 1 cm cubes
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 8 to 9 apples peeled and sliced
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
- 1 pinch of all spice
- 2/3 cup brown soft sugar
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Place the 2/3 of the flour, the salt and sugar in a mixer with a dough hook & mix till combine
- Add the butter and mix till it resembles a crumble
- Then add the rest of the flour and fold in the water and knead into a dough
- Shape into a round flat circle and wrap with cling film and leave it to rest in the fridge for at least an hour ( will last in the fridge for up to 2 days and 3 weeks in the freezer)
- Place all the filling ingredients in a bowl and mix through so apple are coated leave to macerate for at least an hour.
- When rolling out the dough leave some extra for the top , roll into a circle and curl over rolling pin and gently lay it in your 20cm tin there should be about an ½ inch over hang.
- Place the apple filling into the pie case and don’t add touch much of the liquid or the pastry will go soggy, with the extra dough roll out thinly and slice into 1cm strips lay then across the top like lattice.
- Brush the top with an egg yolk and sprinkle on some granulated sugar
- Bake for around 1 hour 10 minutes in the middle of the oven
- Leave to rest for 10 minutes on a wire rack
- Serve while warm with cream or vanilla ice-cream