Our Oak Smoked Cheddar and Wild Mushroom Quiche is full of the flavours of autumn. With a rich, buttery, home-made pastry full of our comforting cheese, this recipe is ideal for a savoury brunch, lunch or midweek supper. Hearty and satisfying, it's perfect comfort food.
- 450g (16oz) plain flour
- 220g (8oz) Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter
- 5 large eggs
- 40ml (1 1/2fl oz) water
- 1 onion
- 400g (14oz) wild or mixed selection of mushrooms
- Pinch of salt
- 200ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) milk
- 340g (12oz) Quicke's Oak Smoked Cheddar
- To make the pastry, tip the flour and Quicke's Cows' Whey Butter into a bowl, then rub together until mixed. Add one lightly beaten egg and 8tbs cold water and combine into a smooth dough.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface into a round approximately 5cm larger than a 25cm tin. Use a rolling pin to lift it up, then drape over the tart case so there is an overhang of pastry on both sides. Lightly prick the base of h tart with a fork and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- heat over to 200C/190F/Gas mark 6. While the pastry is chilling, heat the butter in a pan and sauté the onion for 5 minutes then adding in the mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until they become sticky and golden.
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and add salt and pepper, then gradually add the cream and milk. Stir in the onions, mushrooms and half the Quicke's Oak Smoked Cheddar. Carefully top the filling into the case, sprinkle with the rest of the cheese, then bake for 35-40 minutes until set and golden. Leave to cool in the case, trim the edges of the pastry, then remove and serve in slices with fresh garden salad.