Our melt in the mouth buttery, cheesy and nutty biscuits are easy to make and delicious to nibble on alongside a glass of fine wine for a late summer or early autumn pairing.
There are just a few weeks to go until the start of September and the start of the British nut season. Although walnuts are not native to England we do have the occasional tree that has gone feral. Freshly fallen nuts or 'wet nuts' are excellent for eating but don't keep as well as the properly dried nuts you find in shops and markets.
- 55g (2oz) Quicke’s Extra Mature Cheddar
- 55g (2oz) Quicke’s Cows’ Whey Butter
- 115g (4oz) plain flour
- 55g (2oz) chopped walnuts
- 1 egg yolk
- A pinch of paprika
- A pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Pre heat your oven to 180C/355F/Gas Mark 4
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, Extra Mature Clothbound Cheddar and Whey Butter until it looks like bread crumbs.
- Season with sea salt, pepper and paprika. Then gradually add the egg yolk and mix until it forms a soft ball.
- Roughly chop the walnuts and incorporate into the dough, with a little water if necessary.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 8mm in thickness.
- Cut into about 20 biscuit shapes and place on a greased baking tray.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until gorgeously golden.
- Remove from the oven and while still hot add a little extra grated Quicke’s Cheese on top of each biscuit.